Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Just the other day I told my friend that I thought it would be a long time before there was a turkey cooked in my oven! Well, life is funny, because the very next day after chatting with my mom and realizing how much she's got on her plate I decided it would be better if she didn't have the added task of cooking Thanksgiving supper. And of course, we just couldn't have the holiday go by without a turkey! So, Ken and I hosted Thanksgiving supper at our place. It was so nice. We had my mom (my dad's out of town), brother, sis-in law and her boyfriend come over for a nice dinner. Maddie had lots of fun and Isaac behaved well, although the poor little fella was tuckered out by the end of it all. It was nice to spend some time with our family and we thought about and sent our best wishes to all those family members who are away. I am so very grateful for all the wonderful blessings we have in our lives...





To tie up the long weekend Ken and I watched the movie Food, Inc. If you get the chance to watch it, please do. We've read several of the books written by the people interviewed in the movie, and although the movie did not go into as much detail as the books do, it is an eye-opening film. I could go on and on about it, but all I will say is that I hope more and more people start to become more aware and more involved in bringing about a food revolution. I always feel a bit overwhelmed after watching or reading stuff like that. I sort of feel like change is impossible, but it is not. One by one we can make a difference.

On that note, if you aren't able to shop for your food at the local market, you can also sign up to have a veggie box delivered to your door (in the HRM) by Home Grown Organics Foods. They also give you the option of customizing your box, by adding meat, yogurt, baking goods and a whole bunch of other stuff. Of course, if you have the time and energy to go to the market it's always a great experience! The point is that you should get to know your food, after all it it is one of the most intimate relationships you have!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you stopped by!