Sunday, June 27, 2010

Making the best of a rainy weekend...


One of my favorite things about this time of year is that there are so many delicious things to eat in season. Right now we are savouring the strawberry bounty.

This weekend was wonderful, despite the lackluster weather. We had hoped to go up to Ken's parents' cottage on Saturday, but alas, it rained, so we decided to stay home. Instead we went to the market to get our regular lore. And while we were there we remembered (because we saw them) that this weekend was the celebration for the 100th Anniversary of the Canadian Navy. Warships from several countries, including England, Brazil, the USA, all attended and were open for public viewing. It was quite the experience to get on board and have a look. I kept imagining what it would be like to actually be out at sea while trying not to fall off those slippery narrow steps! Maddie really enjoyed it too (and so did Isaac, from his most comfortable seat on Daddy's back).

Today, Ken and Maddie (on a spur of the moment decision) went to see the biggest warship in attendance, the USS Wasp (an American aircraft carrier). They had to wait in line for an hour and a half! But eventually they got on. Maddie got to sit inside a tank.

For lunch we headed over to our friends' house for a BBQ. It was delish and the company was fun. The rain stopped for a couple of hours and we got to swim in their pool. It was a good old time.

As always, the weekend didn't last long enough! But this week should be fun...there are a few fun activities in the works.

It's also the week I am supposed to go back to work. But I applied to extend my leave for a few months. Weirdly enough, I have not heard back from my manager. So when Tuesday comes around I will be wondering do I have to go in tomorrow or not!? No really, I won't wait till then to find out. In fact I already have left a couple of voicemails for her last week, so hopefully she gets back to me tomorrow.

And now it's time for sleep. I am terrible for getting to bed at a decent time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you stopped by!