Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Climb that tree

Maddie's been growing like a weed this summer. A pair of pants that in the Spring fit to her ankles are now more like capris, up past her ankles, on her calves. I've noticed that she now walks with so much confidence (no longer the bubbly spurts of pure toddler energy), she even sways her hips. Oh my.

She wants to learn how to climb trees. She asked me if I knew how and when I said I did, she asked me to teach her. But first with small trees, she said. So smart she is.

I let her climb a tree the other day at our friends house. A group of kids and their moms were out too and one of the boys said to her, "That's dangerous." I could also feel the other mom's eyes of judgement on me. I just smiled and kept encouraging her and telling her how to climb down carefully and safely.

To me, climbing a tree is a good metaphor and prep for life out in the world. You are not going to be able to protect your children from it forever, so why not prepare them and show them how to enjoy it and navigate it safely and smartly.

And here's a somewhat unrelated picture.
My two kiddos, spaghetti faces and all, sitting inside a storage ottoman into which they got in on their own accord (Isaac helped by Maddie I'm assuming).

1 comment:

  1. I whole heartedly agree with the tree/life metaphor. And how lucky for your kids to have a Mommy who encourages them to make the most of childhood!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you stopped by!