Monday, November 26, 2007

My grandpa...

At the beginning of November we got the news that my grandpa was diagnosed with lung cancer. Those few days following the news were very emotional. Our family knew that although he was feeling well, he probably didn't have much time. My dad flew out to spend time with him and my aunt also came up from Mexico. My grandpa wanted to see us too, and so with the gracious help of my aunt, uncle and my grandpa we were able to get some tickets to fly out to see him. It was quite the adventure flying across the country with an active toddler! But she did amazingly well.

When we arrived, my dad told me my grandpa was worried that Maddie would be scared of him. But I knew Maddie would be fine and she sure was! She played with him instantly, gave him kisses and hugs...She is such a loving little girl. There were so many family members there, it was a wonderful reunion despite the circumstances that brought us together. The first time I saw my grandpa it took all my might to keep myself from crying. It's not that I didn't want to cry, I just didn't want to cry in front of Maddie and frighten her. It made me so sad to see my grandpa so frail...But he was in good spirits and he still had his wonderful sense of humour. We had a wonderful 5 days there, and then it was time to come back home.

Two days after we got back home, we got the call that my grandpa passed away. He fell asleep the night before and in the morning although he was still alive he never woke up, his pulse was weak, and moments later he passed away. As sad as it is to not have him here with us anymore, I'm glad that he died peacefully without a long battle against the cancer. He had such a wonderful life and we are so blessed to have spent the moments we did together. We will always remember him and cherish all the memories we created together.

1 comment:

  1. My deepest sympathies tou you and your family.
    Beautiful pictures of Maddie with your grandpa.


Thanks for letting me know you stopped by!