Sunday, December 2, 2007

Weaning...

After 18 months of breastfeeding, I think we are nearing the end. I have been noticing the last couple of months that Maddie is only nursing for comfort and to fall asleep. This was ok for us when she was younger, but now she's at a stage where it was causing disturbed sleep for the three of us, and it was becoming a problem. Then the last three days she has not nursed at all before bed. I know I am not producing very much milk, I'm sure she is only getting little drops here and there. It's still breastmilk, which is what makes weaning so hard. Weaning is surely the most bittersweet experience I have ever been through. I am so very sad that I won't have those special, quiet moments with Maddie. I am also sad that I won't be giving her breastmilk and all it's healthy components. But, I am also happy to have my body back. Not so much because I minded sharing it with Maddie, but because of the resposibility of having to always be home to nurse her, or having to get up at night to settle her back to sleep. Now, I can share these responsibilites with Ken, which is wonderful because Maddie now also gets to bond with her Daddy. Maddie asks for "nu-nu" at bedtime, but as much as I want to nurse her, I have decided I will continue the weaning process. So I just say, "nu-nu's all gone" and she seems to understand and doesn't ask anymore. About three months ago, I tried to settle her at bedtime without nursing and she had a hysterical fit, so I know that her not getting upset is a good sign and I know she's not taking this hard. We'll take it slow...if she gets too upset I will nurse her, but I am fairly certain that it won't be happening again. I knew this day would come sometime, it's just a bit sad that it's now. My baby is growing so quickly! I cherish the entire 18 months I breastfed my baby girl and I look forward to doing it again sometime in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I understand you. Weaning was one of the hardest things I did in my life... so many mixed emotions...

    Congratulations for the wonderful gift you gave her: 18 months, you should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled onto your blog. Congrats on 18 months of breastfeeding.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you stopped by!