Tuesday, December 11, 2007

What great luck I have...

Our morning started out pretty well. Maddie was happy, we had a good breakfast and planned our outings for the day. We planned to go to the mall and get another picture with Santa and Maddie's little friend, and I had to drop off some things for my thesis. We were on our way and I was approaching an intersection that gives me the willies (I had a car accident there in March 2005 and then a small fender bender a couple months ago). Anyways, it looked fairly crowded and there was a red light, so I decided to avoid the intersection all together, take a right and then go to the next U-turn and continue on my way. But what did I get myself into instead? A police check-point, although I didn't know it at the time.

Me: "Hi Officer, I'm just trying to make a U-turn here, is that OK?"
Officer: "Well M'am, you can't make a U-turn here it's illegal."
Me: "Oh, but the sign says it's ok after 9am."
Officer: "Oh you are absolutely right, that's fine, but this is a check-point so I have to ask you for your license and registration."
Me: "I'm sorry, I thought it was an accident and I was just going to go around."
Officer: "No problem."

I rummaged around the glove compartment and found the registration, but the insurance was nowhere to be found! The more I looked, the more I could see the little pink piece of paper neatly placed on the "To Do" pile of my desk.

Officer: "I'm sorry, I'm going to have to give you a ticket, but if you take your insurance in you can cancel it."

So I ended up with a $1200 ticket which I have to get cancelled by taking my insurance to the police station. What makes me mad is that just last week I meant to put the paper in the car, but of course I forgot.

Me: "Oh well, yet another thing for me to do."
Officer: "Well I'm sure you won't do this again."
Me: "That's true."
Officer: "Merry Christmas."

At least he was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you stopped by!