Thursday, November 12, 2009

Unexpected visitor

In spite of my somewhat over the top hand washing and sanitizing, H1N1 came to visit. I got pretty sick on Sunday night, with a fever, the chills, body aches and a pretty bad cough. I isolated myself at night in Isaac's empty bedroom (he is sleeping in his crib in our room), on the tiniest of air mattresses to ride it out and hoped for the best. Luckily, Maddie and Isaac seemed to only get a cough, which is good. I still have a lingering couch, which is annoying me, but no longer contagious. Thank goodness, because I have the worst case of cabin fever! Today we finally ventured out. I took the kids to the grocery store (oh fun!) and then we came home to unload and then went right back out for a nice walk. Maddie came up with some pretty cute comments while at Superstore. When she saw all the Christmas stuff out, she said, "Christmas stuff already!" I must have said something like this the other day and she remembered and copied me! Then she helped me put everything we needed in the cart. She would ask, "What else do we need?" So I would show her and she insisted of getting off the shelf and putting it in the cart without help. And of course she wanted all the toys out on display. I told her we would have to make a list for Santa....I hate to think that the innocence of Maddie when it comes to gifts and Christmas may be about to change. But we are definitely going to continue our tradition of simple, uncomplicated Christmases, where it's about family time and not just about presents.

Well, I guess now I can say I survived the swine flu. All that hubbub around the vaccination and well, now I don't think we need it. I think it's way too weird that we had to get sick right when the vaccination clinics started. Interesting timing. Although I am sure if I tell my doc I am foregoing the shot he will still insist on us getting it. Well, vaccines are pretty ineffective for young children anyways so I don't see the point anymore and plus, we've already been exposed and have the real deal antibodies to this virus. Now I just hope we stay flu free for the rest of the winter!

1 comment:

  1. Kat,

    I am so sorry that you got so sick. I am so glad you are feeling better. Happy to hear the kiddos are doing ok and weren't affected... aside from missing mommy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you stopped by!