Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Best wishes to everyone for the year 2010! How bizarre is it to see the year in writing? If I was working I would have a heck of a time in getting used to putting that on paper! I am sure even though I am not working I will still take a while to get used to it. I just can't believe how fast time seems to go when you look back. I graduated from high school 10 years ago this coming June, now saying that makes me feel old. Maddie will be 4 this May...FOUR! I just can't believe that. And worst of all I can't believe I will be turning 28. That is just crazy. This last year, whenever I was asked how old I was I had a hard time saying 27. For some reason I seem to have got stuck at my age being 26. The denial begins!

Looking back at the year 2009 so much happened...In January, we took Maddie for her first sledding experience, I can't wait to do that again this winter. She was also taking her first swimming lessons and was in the midst of outgrowing the toddler stage and becoming a little preschooler girl. I was knee-deep in my thesis work, gosh I remember all I did was write and write and edit and write and do more editing. I'm so glad that's over! I defended in March and swore to never do anymore school. The saying goes "never say never," but in all seriousness I do not plan on doing more school. Then we got that awful, horrible flu in mid-March, which we had to take Maddie to the Emerg for. Poor kiddo, I hope I don't have to see her that sick again! That was yucky, but thankfully we got over that without lasting effects. I also finished my work term at the end of March and it was lovely that my doctor agreed I should be off work until I delivered. It is a bit strange to think that I was pregnant with Isaac for more than half of 2009! April and May were spent getting ready for our move. And for me, worrying a tiny bit that I could go into preterm labour at any given point. I also I made a point about spending quality time with Maddie as I knew that soon her world would change forever. Then we moved in early May and then the rest of that month was spent unpacking and getting used to our new neighborhood. I was certain that I would give birth in June, so the whole month I kept expecting things to happen. When they didn't I remember getting more and more impatient. When July rolled in I was so ready for Isaac to come! Thankfully I only had to wait a few days after my due date, which seemed like an eternity, so it's a good thing he wasn't a week or more overdue! Isaac's arrival changed our lives entirely. I had a lot of healing to do physically, mentally and emotionally, which I think I may still be resolving (more the emotional and mental aspects of it). Having a second child is a big change. Learning and finding ways to cope with managing and fulfilling two kiddos' needs was (and continues to be) challenging. Add to that the fact that Isaac has a completely different personality than Maddie (much more demanding, cries more, sleeps poorly) and that Maddie is becoming more and more independent and you have a mix for a 'lose your mind' cocktail that some days I get too much of. The last few months have gone by in a blur. August and September were the worst because I was always tired and my body was still healing. Then in October I finally felt like my old self. This Halloween was the first year when Maddie actually had fun. November arrived with another bought of the flu and it went by too fast. December seems like it didn't even happen! Christmas was so magical this year, I look forward to next year. But I can't believe how fast the days went by. One day it seemed like it was Dec 1 and now it's the year 2010!

I now know (apparently in my old age...hahaha!) that time goes by way too fast. These difficult times with a baby under 1 year will certainly pass and be gone. I love my kiddos so much and I don't want to look back and say I didn't enjoy their early years as much as I could have. I am going to resolve to enjoy every moment of their young lives. Even the difficult and trying ones. Who knows, maybe we will decide to have another one! But don't hold your breath, Ken and I are doing just fine with the 2 we have right now! There are a lot of changes coming up in our lives in the next year and beyond, but I also resolve to stay focused on each day at hand. I know that is the only way to cope and to enjoy life! And, that will be the motto of the year 2010. This year is a year for New Beginnings for me. So I have a chance to start things afresh and lay the groundwork for years to come (maybe that's why I felt it was time for a new look for the blog!?).

So here's to a happy, healthy and bountiful 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you stopped by!